Thursday, November 17, 2005

too busy to blog

i have not been a very good blogger lately. at all. here are some of the reasons/excuses why:

1. i went through a pretty gnarly break-up/get back together briefly/break-up again (details not to be discussed here).

2. i wasn't really eating for a good 3 weeks (the trusty ol' break-up diet). major loss of appetite = lack of energy. but hey, my skinny jeans are loose on me now. besides feeling sick when i want to eat, i can't complain about my new svelte self (and yes, i'm eating a little bit more now thank you very much).

3. i got bombarded with work. this has been a real blessing. not only is the money finally coming in (i was reeeeeally broke there for a bit), i've got some cool projects to work on. my own work projects started to pile up last week (love when that phone rings) and out of the blue i was asked to freelance at an in-house job this week. i was unsure of what it entailed... they didn't even want to meet before starting me on the job, but when they asked my rate, i upped it and they agreed. figured 2 weeks of good cash couldn't be too painful.

well, it turns out that the job has been great. the place is a groovy design studio in mid-town. they have some really big accounts and work on interesting projects. and the people are all quite friendly and cool. i was a bit nervous about walking into a "real" design studio. let's face it, it's been a while since i've been in a working creative environment and i wasn't certain of my competence level. i mean, when you've worked for yourself for a couple years, you tend to do things your own way (and maybe cut a few corners here and there).

they put me on my first assignment on monday. it was a cool project and i was stoked to be working on something from scratch, coming up with concepts, excuting ideas and presenting to the creative director. it's weird to seek approval from a c.d., since i'm the only one who has to approve my own work. again, i was nervous to present, but lo and behold, my ideas actually looked pretty good compared to the other designers working on the project. maybe i was better than i thought. i can't tell you the wonders this did for my ego (the same ego that had been shit on a couple days earlier). AND, i found out today that the client selected my idea. woo-hoo!

and today i was asked to create a concept for a coffee table type of book. so stoked. it's a little stressful (deadline is friday), but i'm happy to be back in this position. regular scheduled hours, intersting projects to work on, and no time to think of said break-up. plus, i've been working on my other projects at night (up past midnight every night this week so far). i usually hate being this busy, but i'm welcoming it and have to say, it feels damn good. bring on the busy i say.

1 comment:

Chase Carter said...

Mmmm, panini.

I too, love you...