Tuesday, March 30, 2004

little pencil

last night i made my first trip via subway to visit new boy who happens to live in astoria. i've been to his place before but always took a cab and was with him. this time, i was going out on my own and had never taken the subway to queens. i knew it was going to be longer than my normal subway journeys so i made sure the ipod batteries were charged and brought along a new tokion magazine to read.

when i got on the N train, i found my little spot--a two seat bench all to myself. i spread my stuff out and got comfortable for the long ride. not so fast. next stop, a hoard of travelers were standing outside the door, ready to get on and steal away my private nook. but wait! who was that handsome boy standing at the doors looking my way? "if someone has to sit by me, please, oh please let it be him." like the gods answering my prayers, hot boy plopped himself right next to me. the comfort zone was slightly violated as our crossed legs rubbed against each other, but i didn't mind one bit.

i carried on reading my magazine. well, not really reading. this boy was so hot i couldn't really concentrate on the copy. but i did notice him checking out the mag's cool graphics. then he took out his own reading material. a subway requirement is to check out your next door neighbor's reading, so i did. it was some sort of text book material in spanish! oh god, oh god! extra bonus points for the cute boy to my left.

then the strangest thing happened. he took out the smallest pencil i've ever seen (maybe about 1 inch) and began jotting down notes on the pages. i was fascinated. how could this 6ft+ tall boy, with rather large hands write with such a stub of a pencil? i didn't get it, and i couldn't stop staring and wondering what the deal was. i wanted to ask him if he needed a pen or something. instead, in my dorky way, i removed my headphones and asked "so... what's with the tiny pencil?"

he smiled a huge smile and spoke in the cutest spanish accent you've ever heard, "oh," he chuckled, "it is a superstition of mine." "what do you mean?" i asked back. "well, ever since i was 17, i've been using pencils til they are almost gone. i think if i throw them away before that, something bad will happen to me. i also have to keep the stubs and i have about 5 bottles full of them."

whoa! i had no idea that would come out of him when i asked my question. it was a trip and i had to know more. he went on and on about his grandmother who was ultra superstitious and encouraged him with his odd pencil theory. i also learned that he didn't wear a watch or use a cell phone for similar reasons. what an intersting character. not only was he the hottest boy ever, he was weird! the perfect combo. again, being the dork that i am, i got out my digital camera and asked if i could snap a pic of him with his little pencil (since i loved the story so much). he allowed me to do so and instead of being embarrassed about it, he posed with his pencil and flashed a big toothy grin. here is the pic (disclaimer: this photo does not do his cuteness justice).

i was so intrigued by him, i sorta wanted to ask for his number, but i was on my way to meet new boy and thought it would be wrong. as we got off at the same stop i asked his name. "mariano, from argentina" he said. "megan. it was lovely chatting with you. i don't think anything bad is going to happen to you." and he smiled his giant cute smile again and walked off.

god help me, i love this city.

No comments: