Tuesday, December 14, 2004

not so bad after all

been a week since i've been back home now. i was definitely feeling the post-trip blues last week. it was just cold and gray and a bit lonely and i was not happy to be home. but my adaptable self has now adjusted back to my life here in nyc. and i'm starting to be ok with it.

the first social engagement was a great ease back into ny life (thanks terra!). a few drinks at a pub with some nice conversation, into a mini dance party and chatting with an old buddy into the wee hours of the night. next day was my little movie marathon. instead of a quad feautre, i made it a double. saw "ray" and "sideways." both good. actually "sideways" was fantastic. the day after that was reconnecting with an old friend (a burnt bridge was mended). and yesterday was a fun dinner with my girlfriend who wanted all the juicy details about my nz antics. all these lovely encounters with good people have brought back some happiness to post-trip bluesy me. and of course, being able to call my better halves across the country have made the transition back well and good.

the only big prob is the bank account situation. i've decided that i'm going to try and get some full-time freelance work in the new year. bite the bullet and earn some real cash to start saving up for the next journey. i've come to the conclusion that i'm not really career girl at this time and place in my life. i've been doing the career thing since college (almost 10 years now) and i sort of missed my opportunity to travel the world (granted, i've been fortunate enough to go here and there for a few weeks at a time, but i know a month or longer is key for travel). now, it's all i want to do. i have time to figure out the whole career/investing/settling down thing later. i figure i should be lugging around a backpack and sleeping in bunk beds and tents while i'm still willing and able.

another nice post-trip revelation: i've shed one of my most irritating qualities... my jealousy. perhaps it's due to the fact that i realize how lucky I am and can actually be happy for others instead of thinking they have it better than me. this is huge! in the past, when friends would call and tell me some great news, i'd want to be happy for them but really i was just jealous (i always hated the feeling but couldn't help it). and recently my good friends have all had incredible news to tell me and i honestly am very excited for them. i can feel the difference! it's a lovely thing.





No comments: