Thursday, November 04, 2004

NZ: day 1, 2, 3

unfortunately, i don't have too much time to write so this will be the brief overview of my arrival in auckland. the flight was much better than expected. was dreading the 20 hour journey, but it went by like nothing (thanks sara, heh heh). didn't even feel crappy upon arrival in the early am.

hopped on the bus which dropped me off at base backpackers, my hostel. the place was very tidy and well set up, so it looked like my choice was a good one. i was a bit nervous to walk into my "dorm room" full of 8 girls, but as i entered, i noticed they were all passed out. the room was a disaster area... looked as though these girls had a bender the night before. i was sure not to make too much noise as i didn't want them hating me straight away. took a little nap and got up before they did to go see the city. who knew who they were, where they were from, what language they spoke or what. hostel life man.

went down and called amanda, my auckland contact, who told me she'd left a note for me at the front desk. picked it up and had perfect instructions like where to get a good meal close by (typed out with directions from the hostel and a map!). loved her already! took her suggestion to get a kabab round the corner. took my meal up to the lovely albert park and ate happily under the perfect auckland sunny blue sky. ah!

took myself for a wander and ended up at the art gallery where a cool chick at the front desk chatted me up. was wondering if i'd voted and if i was disappointed in the resutls. you see, i hadn't even heard the shitty news yet. she was the one who told me the fucker had won. was pretty bummed, but was sort of expecting it and was happy i wasn't there to be really depressed (sorry guys!).

next stop: the big attraction, the sky tower. paid my $18 (a bit expensive) and went to the top to see the awesome 360 view of the city (actually worth it). even saw a couple jumpers take off from the top (freaks!). met up with amanda a bit later and LOVED her even more in person. funny, sweet chatty girl who was more than happy to take the newbie around. we went to her local irish pub for beers. also met her boyfriend darren and their friends rory, pete and suz... all equally as lovely. we each bought rounds of beers and i got a bit tipsy (light weight that i am). it was like a regular gathering of the locals and i was totally welcome. loving the kiwis already! after more late night kababs, they dropped me off at my hostel (and also invited me to a guy fawks party the following night. love not having to make plans for myself for a friday night. should be a good one of blowing things up and fireworks. looking forward to it).

anyway, went back to the room which was full of the girls, awake this time. they were all brits who'd all gone to uni together in bristol. it had potential to be a bad sorority situation, but they were very friendly. a couple of them had been travelling for a while... thailand, laos, cambodia. heard some interesting stories. they invited me downstairs to the hostel bar. i was pretty tired and already drunk, but i figured, when in rome. hung out and had a nice time.

LOVING being on my own here. i can do whatever the fuck i want. i'm chilling, i'm seeing stuff. i'm meeting people. i talk to strangers if i want to and keep quiet if i don't. today has been another good one of walking all around the city. i'm diggin here for sure. it's super mellow. itdoesn't feel too foreign (starbucks, burger king, dennys--thank you american globalization) but then i remember i'm on the other side of the world. it's ridiculously clean here. almost too clean. haven't had to squat over one toilet yet! pretty diverse population. the coffee is fantastic. even the fashions are good. had a nice walk around the groovy shops today and was well impressed. then happened upon a flea market with tons of good one of kind type stuff. was super tempted to buy about 5 things, but held back. also got my first NZ crush... cute graphic designer boy with art and clothing. mmm... a passing fancy.

well, must rush off to meet amanda again. might not be able to report for a bit. meeting with my camping group tomorrow. praying there will be cool folks (slighty nervous for that). that's all for now. i'm a happy and content travllin' girl.

No comments: