Friday, October 15, 2004

18 days and counting

i have to say i think i'm pretty clever for deciding to leave for my trip on november 2nd, the day of the big presidential election. i don't have to look at a calendar to see how many more days til i leave, i just look online or read/see the news to find out. there's always some blurb mentioning how many more days til election day. ha! so yeah, in 18 days i'm off.

i'm rather unprepared as far as going away for a month alone to a new country goes (don't even have the so-called travel bible--lonely planet book!). i have my ticket to get there. i have my reservation for the hostel i will stay at for my first two nights in auckland. the lovely and helpful amanda, an auckland resident, is willing to take me out and show me the ropes when i arrive (very grateful!). and i've got a reservation for the camping trip for my first two weeks. other than that, i have myself, my backpack and my travel know-how to get me around the islands. i'm extremely excited and ready for anything! a month seems like a long time, but i'm sure it's going to fly by.

until i leave, i'll remain busy. my mom finally decided to come out here for a visit. yet again, i will be a tour guide, but this should be a little different. no going out dancing and getting drunk. it'll be more like museums and eating and shopping. and i'm really hoping we get to rent a car to take a drive out to the country. i'm dying to see those colored leaves before they all blow away!

then it'll be halloween preparations, catching up with work, prepping my house for my subletter and packing! woo-hoo!

No comments: