Saturday, November 08, 2003

new arrangement

the other night, as my rommie and i were watching bad reality tv, i slying asked her, "so, have you ever re-arranged this living room?" "not really," she replied. "well, how about we do some re-arranging...and, er, i move my computer in here!" heh, heh. i didn't think she'd go for it cuz who wants their roommates' office in their living room, but she went for it. she's the cooooolest! i was so stoked. i'm telling you...the office in my bedroom was a bit of a joke. i mean you literally had to climb over the desk chair to get to the bed and "closet." so today we did our re-arranging. and now i'm sitting in my new spot and it's FANTASTIC! my bedroom looks HUGE now and i don't quite know what to do with all the empty space. i could really use a bookshelf, so i think i'll go back to good ol' k-mart and get myself a shitty cheap bookcase. i can deal with ugly shit for the time being. i really wonder when the day will come that i can afford nice furniture. seems like a long way away.

in other news, my venture out last night turned out to be really good, after some rough stuff in the beginning. i wanted to go out to see/hear tyler play records, since he'd invited me and all. i had made plans to meet up with my "music" friend i met a couple weeks ago, lucy--a british girl who just moved here as well, who is into the whole broken beat scene and is a dj herself. when i called her, she sounded really sick and said she couldn't make it. oh well... i actually don't mind going out by myself in NY and see it as an adventure (who knows who you will meet, if anyone). i walked to the club and found myself a seat at the bar. i happened to sit next to the guy who was by himself as well and we struck up a conversation. turned out he was from LA and was just visiting family. a nice older man, but not someone i would be stoked to be talking to (he was older and not cute by any means, but a nice enough guy). then, he offered to buy me a drink. i'm not quite sure what the etiquette is in these situations, since i obviously was not into him, but i am poor and was stoked to have a free drink. i didn't want to be an asshole, but i also didn't want the obligation of having to talk to him the rest of the night (sometimes i feel like accepting a drink from a man is a bit like whoring yourself...he pays for your company). fuck it...i accepted anyway. more chatting...then he dropped the bomb and said he had 8 kids from 3 different women. that was my golden ticket...i acted shocked and then kind of poo-poo'ed any advances he was giving me. it was ok and he knew it. then he offered to smoke a joint with me. again, i should have said no, but i went for it. we smoked some outside and when we came back in, the music was getting good. tyler was up and playing some new shit i hadn't heard before which made me happy. the dancefloor was going on and i just excused myself from old man and joined in on the dancefloor. old man was at the bar and then made his way to the dancefloor and just stood against the wall, staring at me. i tried my hardest to pretend not to notice his creepy-ness. i was dancing with some fun guy who asked "are you with that guy, cuz i don't want to piss him off." "NO!" i exclaimed. "i'm on my own." shit! THEN, old guy got the guts up to join in on the dancefloor. aw...i felt kinda bad for the guy. he really was trying, but i just wasn't going for it. i did my best "i'm not with you" moves to give him the hint without being mean. after a bit, he told me what an amazing dancer i was and that i inspired him to come dance. that was sweet. then he said it was nice to meet me and took off. easy as that.

the night got better from that point. chatted for a while with tyler, who is a super cool guy (he actually admitted to being sick of broken beat--which i agreed with! see, great minds think alike). he introduced me to his pals. one girl i really like, tchiako (she hosts rude movements) . then talked to carl, who writes for flavorpill who said he'd be happy to tell me about good goings-on. next i chatted with a dj/record label guy, chad who was also very cool. guess he plays reggae/dub stuff around town. invited me to go out with him after the club and gave me the digits. the people there were all so nice and chill. i think i found the niche that i like. all in all it turned out to be a great night out alone. free drinks, free joint, not too much hassle from old guy, and met some new great people.

No comments: